Metalsmith -Instructor- Jewlery Artist

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Can metals marry?

Why yes!  They can!!!
I'm learning some different methods of marrying layers of metal to make patterns!! 
The one below is called multi-metal lamination.  It's a type of faux married metal.   This is done by cutting strips of silver, brass and copper and melting solder between them.   I put the stack through a rolling mill and slice off layers with my saw, then put the striped slices side by side and solder them until I make it as wide as I need it.   The result is multi stripes of color.

There are Many different ways to do this.  
ganskin has a nice article on it if you care to learn more. www.ganoskin.com/bori sat/Neman/metal-overlay.htm 




or ask me about it and I'll be happy to share more detailed instructions with you :)



No comments: